The Hair Dye 'BLACK HENNA'. What Does It Mean?*
- 'Black Henna' is not pure, nor is it pure henna. Pure henna is a green plant (Lawsonia inermis)and the green leaves are dried, crushed and powdered. When used alone it will turn the hair an orange-red color. If it is properly used with pure indigo, the hair will dye to black. If it is mixed with a very toxic chemical called, para-phenylenediamine (PPD), “coal tar”.
- 'Black Henna' is not pure indigo or 'black indigo'. Pure indigo is a green plant(Indigofera tinctoria) and the green leaves are dried, crushed and powdered. When used properly with pure henna, it will turn hair to a black color. However, if it is mixed with chemicals dyes, or even henna that has been compromised by chemicals, including PPD, then it is not pure indigo or the so-called, 'black henna'.
- PPD is known to cause severe skin allergies such as: Permanent scarring, marked redness and swelling of scalp, face and eyes, eyelids may completely shut, allergic contact dermatitis may spread throughout body.
- Severe PPD allergy can also result in contact urticaria and anaphylaxis on rare occasions. See: NZ Dermatological Society report and photos.
- PPD*: “This compound is used in almost every hair dye on the market, regardless of brand. The darker the colour, usually, the higher the concentrations. Some of the so-called "natural" and "herbal" hair colours, while ammonia-free, contain PPD. Some products sold as henna also contain PPD added, particularly so-called 'black henna'. In many cases, PPD causes allergic reaction, and can cause scarring in some people. PPD should never be applied directly to the skin in its pure form or mixed with anything else.”
Get to know the facts and keep safely away from harmful chemical and synthetic hair color dyes.
Lustrous Henna® is 100% All Natural Hair Color Dye. The soft black shade is derived from mixing pure henna (from the henna plant) with the extracts of pure indigo and other botanicals found in nature.
Lustrous Henna® is completely para-phenylenediamine-free (PPD-free hair dye); also, ammonia-free, peroxide-free. A totally natural hair color.
*See Wikipedia: Henna, p-Phenylenediamine
Learn more about Para-Phenylenediamine (PPD) dangers